Tuesday, May 17, 2005

listening and not listening

I was looking today at Isaiah 1:2, in the context of the first two chapters.

Is. 1:2 Listen, O heavens, and hear, O earth;
For the LORD speaks,

He is speaking to the very creation that He spoke into being. "Listen, O heavens, and hear, O earth." May I get out of my self-centeredness for a moment? It is not immediately obvious that the Lord is addressing me personally. He has a message for the entire universe, corporate and public. Why does he address the heavens and the earth? Because He created them, and can thus address them as He pleases (Gen 1:1)?

"Listen"--The verb there harkens back to a key passage in the Torah.

Sh’ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai Echad (Deut. 6:4)
Hear, O Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One.

Veahavta et Adonai Elohiecha bechol levavcha uvchol nafshecha uvchol meodechaAnd you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and might (Deut 6:5).

He is addressing the heavens and the earth because that is whom He has left to address. All He has left is the universe, the sum total of finite being. Since Israel is not listening, perhaps Creation will listen in her stead. Just some thoughts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great reminder that He has set the heavens and the earth as the witnesses.... as it is written:.........
"I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse: therefore choose life, that you may live, you and your seed; to love Yahweh your God, to obey His voice, and to cleave to Him; for He is your life, and the length of your days; that you may dwell in the land which Yahweh swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them. ...Deu 30:19-20)....Isn't this wonderful and to great for our understanding! "Listen, O heavens, and hear, O earth; For the Lord speaks"

Even now ALL of creation groans in anticipation, looking for the day of redeemption.

.........."Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:"Isa 46:9-10).....What a powerful reminder of His Greatness and Soverign Reign, His Omnipotence, we soon realize from this just how great is His GRACE.

Thank you for sharing good thoughts for today...the reason of my Hope, the Object of my worship; my God, my Love and my Life, Yahshua the Messiah..love to you, gina