Thursday, April 08, 2010

Debate: does the Bible provide an adequate answer to the problem of suffering?

In light of Yom HaShoah this coming Sunday and considering responses to and speculation about suffering, I'd like to let you know about this debate, April 15th, between Dr. Michael Brown and Dr. Bart Ehrman (for those of us not in Ohio, it will stream from the site).


Partly why I look forward to this is that I have no idea how the exchange will play out. I've read Dr. Ehrman's book on suffering called God's Problem, but though I've been challenged by his talks on almost everything else (him being my undergraduate NT professor), have not heard him talk about this. Likewise, though an admirer of Dr. Brown's Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus series and debating and preaching (e.g. on Jeremiah and the pain of God at Hope of Israel Congregation), I've not gotten to hear his views on this core issue of apologetics (though on point re: Yom HaShoah, see AJOJ Vol. 1, 2.10 p. 177ff.).

Virtually yours at the debate.

No comments: